Science Technology, Math and Engineering: the future of america
EQ: How best can an organization like FIRST keep students K-12 interested STEM?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Blog 15: independent Component 2 Approval

1.  Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.


I'm going to be volunteering with the FIRST organization at several of their competition events. I will do 10 hours of work a day and i will experience what its like to be behind the scenes of the competitions. In detail, i will be volunteering as a "team queurer" which basically means i will be assigned some teams and i will be their assistant for the day reminding them of time and place. I will be helping set up a robotics competition and making sure that everything runs smoothly during each competition. I will do 3 different competitions between now and March. It should be a total of 30 hours of work comprised of 3, 10 hour sessions of straight work. I'm going to be exploring the 3 levels of STEM interaction between the competition hosts and the competitors. I'll be in direct contact with many STEM involved students and will have the ability to ask questions of them and speak to them while simultaneously being in contact with STEM operators that volunteer for free because they do believe in the ideal that is STEM and i will be able to question them and create a lot of evidence and research from that. Hopefully i'll make more connections so that i may expand my research as well.

2.  Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.

I will have 3 sheets of service learning forms filled out with 10 hours each. I will also provide photos as well as physical evidence such as Tshirts or medals. I can also get a signed form stating that i did indeed complete the hours. 

3.  And explain how what you will be doing will help you explore your topic in more depth.
My independent component will put me in contact with STEM students and STEM supporters. It will allow me to gather the viewpoints of those students and the supporters of these types of programs which in turn will lead me to have connections to the program. I will also be able to talk and ask questions relating to my Essential question when i work with the supporters and i can also gain a viewpoint of the students involved in these types of programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment